Front Page


Follow us on Twitter+Abellablog1

DIY LINEN HEADBOARD

by

    Make your own Linen Headboard

    This was such a fun project, time consuming but not to hard, and the end result is so worth every second spent. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars, why don't take on the challenge and make a custom headboard just for you? You get to choose your own fabric and buttons, the only limitation you have is your imagination -- and your budget ;)
    Restoration Hardware and their awesome headboards inspired me, so I went with the classic linen fabric to get that timeless classy look.

    First you will need to measure how long and tall your headboard needs to be to cover the end of the bed. I have a king bed and I found that 6ft long and 4ft high would be perfect for my bedroom and me.
     
    I used a piece of plywood for the headboard

    I measured the height of the bottom of the plywood to the bottom of the floor to get the headboard to be 4ft tall.

    After legs were screwed on, I measured out where the buttons should be and counting how many buttons I wanted on the headboard. This is totally up to your preference, and it needs a steady hand and logic because if you get the holes wrong you buttons will not be in order. Don’t worry its not that hard!

    You need foam and padding to make that headboard soft and inviting. Both you can buy at your local fabric store, but foam is really pricy. They sell it by the yard and you unfortunately need a lot of it to cover your whole piece of plywood. If you are not willing to spend the money, (like I was) I researched the internet and found that some have used a foam mattress instead. It is not as thick and nice, but will do the trick. So I went for that and bought the padding. Which ended up being a lot cheaper even with all the coupons I could find.


    You need to spray your piece of plywood with adhesive spray before you lay the foam on top. This step is important, because the next step of stapling on the padding is going to be really hard if the foam keeps falling off, because you will have to turn your headboard around 180 degrees.

    When your piece of plywood is upside down and the padding is under, try and pull the padding to make sure you don’t have any wrinkles. I know this is hard because the foam and padding stick to each other like crazy, but try the best you can.
    Its time to staple that padding! Staple the edges of the plywood; I started with just a few on each side to make it secure and then I just kept on stapling until I thought it was enough.

    I actually ended up using two layers of padding, which is not necessary, but if you feel like it you can.
    The last step to add the fabric is exactly like the padding. I had to iron the linen first too to get all those wrinkles out.
    Lay the plywood piece on top of the fabric, tighten it and staple the edges.
    If you are not into buttons you can stop right here! But I love the button look, and I really wanted the buttons to match the headboard.
    I was a little nervous about the button process, and let me tell you it was not the easiest! But I will tell you my mistakes so you don’t have to do them, and waste your time and effort.

    So I bought the button kit online and it was fairly cheap, and surprisingly it did not take that long to put the buttons together. YAY!
    Remember the holes I drilled in the headboard? Well here comes the hard part. From the back stick the needle with a thicker sting through the hole, remember to put the button on, (DON’T forget like I did more than once) and now put the needle through the same hole to tighten the button. I am not a very patient person and I had a hard time finding the hole, you would think its pretty easy but it wasn’t’ for me!
    Finally all buttons are on and I need to tighten the string from the back.
    I found that stapling each end of the string was the easiest way to tighten them and then tying a knot, and I tried a few different ways. So I start tightening the buttons and guess what happens, the part of the button you click on pops off the front.

    I think I have just tightened that button too much, so I try the next one and same thing happens. All my buttons are popping off! I was so frustrated. But don’t do my mistake. In the button kit it does not tell you to GLUE the button together, but let me tell ya that its important! So I had no other choice than pull out all the buttons, glued the top on, let them dry for a day and then started the button process all over again. But training makes master and this time around putting the needle through the holes didn’t seem so hard… ☺

    But all in all the weekend I sacrificed to do this was so well worth it! The headboard is gorgeous, and I spent under $150 to make it!

    in DO IT YOURSELF Hits: 2199

    Comments